Tomberg Family Philanthropies
Social Media Volunteer Opportunity
December, 2017 – June, 2018
The Tomberg Family Philanthropies motto, “Helping You Improve the World”, comes from our belief that our grantees do the life-changing work and our role is to support them in those efforts. The Tomberg Family Philanthropies are establishing a social media presence to add to the ways we are supporting our grantees efforts. In addition, we are interested in using our presence on social media to improve the practice of philanthropy. We intend to accomplish our goals by sharing grantee news, successes, and challenges; curating philanthropy best practices, insights, and news in the nonprofit sector; and offering an inside look at the workings of a small, informal family foundation. The volunteer will work with the social media committee of The Tomberg Family Philanthropies by building our presence on social media platforms, particularly Facebook, in the next 6 months.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2017
The volunteer will be able to work from their home. The volunteer should have reliable access to a computer and the Internet on a daily basis. The volunteer should be able to meet by phone with the members of The Tomberg Family Philanthropies, when needed.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Volunteers must be proficient with social media.
The first volunteer commitment is expected to require approximately 4 hours per week.
The Social Media Volunteer will play an important role in supporting the establishment and impact of The Tomberg Family Philanthropies social media presence. The volunteer will consult on and help develop our social media strategy and implementation plan, maintain The Tomberg Family Philanthropies’ presence on various social media platforms, starting with Facebook, and will help create and publish content that is relevant to our mission and the organizations we support. He/she will regularly analyze and report on the activity on social media networks. He/she will work and interact with The Tomberg Family Philanthropies Advisory Board members and current and former grantees.
- Updates Facebook page on a regular schedule.
- Helps develop our social media strategy, our implementation plan and our posting calendar.
- Responds to posts or comments to bring value to audience’s interactions with The Tomberg Family Philanthropies.
- Posts updates, news and announcements in a timely manner using appropriate content.
- Performs research to find articles, stories, resources, or other content that is relevant to our community and posts it to our Facebook page in a manner that invites conversation and interaction.
- Updates Facebook account with current and relevant photos, video, or other content from The Tomberg Family Philanthropies and grantees activities and events.
- Grows The Tomberg Family Philanthropies online social networks by increasing followers and interactions.
- Regularly observes the online activity of model organizations researches and reports on “social media best practices”.
- Uses Facebook Insights to assess trends and activity on the The Tomberg Family Philanthropies Facebook page.
- Reviews data on the performance of social media platforms and adjusts plans or strategies to optimize reach.
The volunteer serves without monetary compensation. However, The Tomberg family Philanthropies will pay all the volunteer’s reasonable travel and project-related expenses.
Please contact Charlie Tomberg at Charlie@tombergphilanthropies.org for more information about this opportunity or to apply for the volunteer role.
the Tomberg Family Philanthropies is a small informal family foundation. Our mission is to support well-run and effective programs that make a difference in the areas of poverty alleviation, the environment, health and education. Our focus is on supporting projects that help their recipients build capabilities themselves that will last far beyond the end of the specific project. We consist of two separate charitable funds, The Marty Tomberg Charitable Fund and the Philip and Helen Brecher Charitable Fund. Our grants are normally between $5,000 and $15,000, and we made approximately $130,000 in grants in 2016. You can read more about us at http://www.tombergphilanthropies.org/ .
Find Us On Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TombergPhilanthropies/ .
This job description can be found at https://www.tombergphilanthropies.org/?post_type=post_publications&p=1388&preview=true .